Sunday, November 18, 2007

Another post.

Without further ado, I present to you the top ten answers to the top ten questions asked to foreingers in China:

1.Huh? I'm sorry I don't know what you're...Could you spell that?
2.Chinese girls are very pretty, they cook really well too.
3.Umm, I came to Enshi because...
4.Steve Nash
5.Umm, I left America because, umm...
6.January
7.No, I don't plan to get a Chinese girlfriend before January.
8.No, I really don't have the money to go to Beijing for a whole month in August.
9.Let me give you my email instead.
10.It's very spicy.

There a ton of honorable mentions such as: "No I don't have a girlfriend," or "I actually have three or four girlfriends in America," and "No I don't smoke."

The smoking is the saddest part. Every man (not an exaggeration) in this country is a chain smoker, and there will be a lung cancer epidemic in twenty years like the world has never seen. All the men know that it's bad for them, and that knowledge doesn't stop them. Oh well.

Here is one hour in the life of Jonathan Harrison:

5:30: Student from last night knocks on my door to invite me out to dinner with Chinese buisness man. I ignore the knock. He leaves (I will never know how he found out where I live).

5:31: The phone rings.

5:38: Another knock on the door. Presumably my 11 year old friend, but I would rather not take my chances.

5:39: Phone rings.

5:49: Phone rings again.

5:58: Someone else knocks on the door. My guess is Tina and Elsa, two of my students.

5:59: Phone rings.

6:11: Phone rings.

6:21: Phone rings.

"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens."

No comments: