Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Blackest Man in Enshi

You'll never believe what I heard. I walked into one of the local grocery stores and emanating from a loudspeaker, straight out of St. Louis, was that song where the kids say:

"Do your chain hang low? Do it wobble to the flo? Do it shine in the light? Is it platinum, Is it gold? Could you throw it over ya shoulda? If ya hot, it make ya cold. Do your chain hang low?" (punctuation added)

And I was like "Ya buddy, CHAIN. That's what I'm saying Jibbs is my homeboy!" Except I wasn't. But the song made me happy, and then it made me sad; because there was no one to share in my happiness. It made me happy (and then sad) for a variety of reasons. First, I thought Chain was a regional hit in the southern United States. I guess it found it's way out of the South. I dont know what Jibbs would think if he knew that "Chain" was playing in a isolated Chinese city of 200k people, but I bet he probably wouldn't care. Second, and this should make you smile, if anyone in this city deserves to be enjoying that song, it's me. I'm from the its region, I've heard of the term rhythm, I'm tall and have curly hair, I'm a minority. Yes that's right, it all adds up: I am the blackest man in Enshi. Laugh, laugh all you want. If you were here you would agree with me. Now if you will excuse me, I'm going listen to some Hall & Oates.

"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens."

p.s. I also have the slight beginnings of a head cold. Which means I didn't run today, which makes me sadder than words can tell. I think I am going to take some nyquil and wake up about mid-december.

p.s.s. Maybe you should just give me your email and I will let you know when I finally get around to the food post. I'm hating food right now, except my Chocolate bread. I love me some Chocolate bread.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ha! The blackest man in Enshi! I love it.