Friday, October 19, 2007

Chinese Orphanage

Today I visited a Chinese orphanage inside of the city. I, of course, was expecting the heart-wrenching poverty and malnourishment that accompanies every visit to a foreign orphanage. However, when we got there we discovered that the place was cleaner than my apartment, overstaffed, and underpopulated with a troop of minor musicians who looked well fed, happy and a lot better off than their peers who have family that want them (well that's the way it looked). And we were also not allowed to take pictures. Sad day. To compensate, here is a picture of me with a stone tiger.

Also, just a warning for you wonderful people sending me letters. Today I got a piece of mail that was sent on September 26. My other American friends gave it to me. It appeared in their mailbox today. At least the country got the nationality right. That is something the USPS would never do. So if you send a letter telling me how cool I am, confessing your undying love, etc. and I never respond, chances are it went back in time to the foreign teachers who taught here before me like in that movie with Sandra Bullock and Keeonoh Reeves. And speaking of Sandra Bullock, apparently Brit ran over somebodies foot with her car. Which requires a few questions to be asked: why does she own a car? why is she driving it? who was the idiot that let her pass her driver's exam? and why is she not in prison yet? Oh come on, it's only a matter time, except this time she'll probably kill someone and then this whole Hiltonlohanspears badgirlz thing won't be cute or funny anymore. Yea, I agree with the main pop culture criticism that making fun of Britney is too easy and we should all move on to harder targets, but those people arn't living in a country that still listens to "Hit Me Baby One More Time". Wait, here I go again.
"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens,"
p.s. the food blog post is coming. If I did it today you would get a few pictures of leftovers, and I don't think anybody wants that.

No comments: