Sunday, October 21, 2007

A little thing happened on a track in Enshi.

Today, on a track in Enshi China, something was accomplished that has never been accomplished in the history of man. Something which the entire world has been itching to see since it's conception. Something unmatched in the unparalleled strength and fortitude that was needed for this event to finally occur. Today on a track in Enshi China, Jonathan Harrison ran two miles.

Without stopping.

At a pretty brisk pace.

And he is still alive.

WHOOOOO! I TOLD MY CRITICS THAT I WOULD RUN TWO MILES! I TOLD MY CRITICS AND YOU DID NOT BELIEVE ME!

Ok enough channeling of Muhammad Ali. It's one thing that I thought I would never accomplish. Something that has been over two or three years in the making. I remember back in the days of college when I never thought I would run one mile (and I remember that day too, it was a cold day during winter break and there was no on in the SAC except a middle-aged man and the guy working behind the counter. And I hit the 3/4 of a mile mark and I said to myself "Today is the day. Today is the first day in your life that you will run one mile." And then I did.), when I would hit 8/13 of a mile and stop because I was winded. I remember back in fourth grade, when I was the most out of shape kid in the entire P.E. class. Coach told us to run 8 laps around the basketball court. And I was still on lap six when all the other guys (and girls) had finished, and I was going to finish those eight laps, I was going to do it. Then coach told me that it was alright and I didn't have to run all eight laps, but I wanted to finish, and he wouldn't let me (and who could blame him, that probably would have taken twenty minutes). NOW I HAVE RUN TWO MILES. At age 22 JONATHAN HARRISON IS IN THE BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE!!!!! AND YOU KNOW WHAT? HE'S GOING TO DO IT TOMORROW!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens."

p.s. Sorry for all the self-aggrandizing, I need to feel good about something. Also I attended a little "c" family today (or is it big C?) and loved it. Probably because: 1. I got to talk to a woman who studied in Jersey for three years, 2. It is by far the best meal I've had in China (like a buffalo wing vegetable soup, amazzzzing) and 3. No one tried to force feed me alcohol. And I actually took part in the family gathering itself. I wish I could write more about it, but it's pretty obvious why I can't. Anyways WHOOOOOOOO.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay for two miles! You are inspiring to us all...getting on the treadmil right now.