Thursday, September 20, 2007

The newest member of the family

I went out last night and spent a couple of yuan on a guitar. I think I've already played more guitar today than I have in the last year. It's crazy. I miss American music about as much as I miss Chick-fil-a. Now whenver I learn a new song, I get a good feeling. A feeling that never happened when I learned a new song in the states. I'm actually practicing. In addition, last night I met a Chinese guy who had never heard of the Beatles. He also had never heard of my main man JC. But he had heard of Michael Jackson. Thank goodness, I was getting worried. There is still good in the world.

I started teaching the literature class today. It tanked. I'm going to go back in the trenches and regroup. See what I can do to right this ship. I found out today that Chinese students like English poetry as much as American students (I was under the impression that they would like it more; what was I thinking?). And the language barrier certainly didn't help matters any. So granted, I don't know what I'm going to do about this, but I got a week to figure it out.

So I have this friend. Her English name is Lily. Lily is persistent. Lily has also cooked me dinner three times since Saturday (Lily is an awesome cook). Lily meets me after class and eats lunch with me everyday. Lily has cleaned my kitchen, twice. Lily has cleaned my apartment. It's becoming so bad that my students are starting to ask if she is my girlfriend and if there is any interest (no, there is not). Lily is not even an English major (but yes, Lily can speak English). I'm hoping this is Lily's way of asking for English lessons, and that everything will calm down in the next week. Because I'm starting to miss my free time in the afternoons.

"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens"

2 comments:

Linda said...

Jonathan,
I just found your blog and love it. You are doing a great job of telling the story of your adventure. I have about 1 million questions for you. Since I have so many questions, I will just ask them one or two at a time. Q.#1 How do you even conceive of approaching the task of teaching people from China how to speak English? I cannot wait to hear your answer. Sounds like you are doing very well and I will keep in touch.
We all love you and are so proud of you.
If they have rooftopgardens there, please take some pictures for me!!
Thanks.
Linda
www.rooftopgarden.com

Unknown said...

ha! Mom is a little nervous about this Lily person... :-)