Wednesday, September 26, 2007

One month?

I don't know if you heard, but China and I celebrated our one month aniversary yesterday. I wouldn't say we are in love. Not yet, but I'm enjoying this relationship a lot more now than I was at two weeks when we almost broke up. It's easier to say "Wow, China and I only have nine months left together." Not to mention that next week I begin almost a week and half of vacation. It will be eight months before I realize it. This time is really flying by fast. Now that I have settled down, I can start to do some good work. Some random observances on why life here is so much more easier than life in the states:

1. There are little responsibilities. I don't have to worry about a car, I only work about five hours a day, and I live by myself with all the luxuries anyone could ask for (ok so the roaches get annoying, but I've also found that with no carpet and a broom, roaches slide across the floor like a hockey puck. Banishing them from my apartment has become fun).

2. Money is not a problem. Not at all, you can feed a family of four over here for a couple of American dollars a day. And I get subsidized well for doing absolutley nothing. Almost everything is dirt cheap. In fact, I can't believe I ever tore apart my car to find a four quarters so I could go to Wendy's and get a hamburger. There is no telling how much money those fatcats are making off the dollar menu. You should see the good food you can get over here for $.40.

I don't know how I'm going to adjust when I get back. It's nice not having to micromanage your bank account everytime you go the grocery store. It's so different from college, all the free time in the world, not a worry on your mind and no drama. But it's not home, and I won't forget that.

"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens."

2 comments:

Miss Lemons said...

Hey friend! I really enjoyed reading your blog and I am glad that you and China have decided not to "break up"!!!

Tiffany

Unknown said...

What? no more spiders?