Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The problem with language

You know what I miss? You know what I miss more than anything? It's the ability to enter a gas station ask the attendant "How are you today" and have the attendant know what I was saying. I wouldn't even want an answer, just an acknowledgment that we were speaking the same language. I miss spoken communication, the power to have spoken communication with just about anyone. The power to speak without thinking "Will they know what I am trying to say?" That is what I miss. I miss talking to people, really talking to people. When I crashed a few days ago (which I did), it came to my realization that this, more than anything, is what kept me going in life. And travelling ripped it away.

The standard response is to learn the language, and I will. But, I really don't have a desire too. I don't know why. It's not me. Elitist racism? Maybe. I'm not ruling that out. I'm immersed in one of the friendliest cultures on earth. People will come out of nowhere just to say "Hello. How are you?" Just to see if it will really work. It has never been so easy to make friends. I really don't have to do much. Just go out in public. Learning some mandarin would make life so much easier (in fact it would be the polite thing to do). However, I would rather teach class, hold up in my apartment, surf the internet all day for the next ten months, and eat microwave romaine (sp?), than learn mandarin, go out in public, eat authentic food, and travel China when I have the chance.

(I'm sure someone out there is writhing on the floor) If I had to be honest with myself, as you can already tell, travelling is not my bag, baby. Never really has been. I don't want to say it's a waste of time. I can understand its merits. And I can understand why someone would enjoy it. For me, however, I stopped getting excited about such things when I was thirteen. I'm not saying my mentality is right (some of my favorite people love travelling) it just doesn't do much for me. And I think there is a better excuse than stoicism or laziness. The main reason for travelling I feel is to broaden your mindset, kill prejudice, maybe see some things some people will never see. Well I don't believe I have trouble with a narrow mentality on the world. Of course, I have some prejudice (like we all do) but it's not so bad that I think ethnic cleansing is good idea. And I don't see how seeing the cistine chapel will make me better individual. I just don't get this whole travelling thing (maybe this is how an autistic person feels).

If you travelled to every country in the world, learned every language in the world, and became accustomed to every culture world, would you be some sort of superhuman? No, to me you would be a person without a home. It's sophistry, I know, but I think it makes a point.

I've listened to the three songs I bought 46 times since yesterday. My laptop is back up and working (thank you Uncle Dave), and I now have my music. I was just asked to teach American film, tv and literature appreciation (hmm). And I just got a letter from America. It's getting better people, but sometimes I just want to talk to my friends.

"I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens"

4 comments:

Abbie Graham said...

Hi Jonathan,
I've really enjoyed reading your blog! Adam and I have been in Scotland for almost 8 weeks now--I know the culture shock can't compare with yours, since the people here speak the language, but I can totally identify with the frustrations of getting used to a new culture. People can be downright nasty here, and that is very trying sometimes. We're keeping a blog of our experiences, too. You'll have to check it out-- abbienadam.blogspot.com
Looking forward to hearing more stories...hope things keep getting better for you!

Abbie Graham

Tyler Pepper said...

It's pretty clear that you don't have wanderlust, which is fine, I really don't either. Us homebodies are pretty averse to China. I crashed while I was there, but it wasn't as much about language barrier and forced drinking culture as much as the sudden onset of "motherhood" upon myself. Here's the proof: http://www.tylerandmolly.com/images/0111100-R1-041-19_1.jpg
Hope that made your day a little better. Download skype and talk to your friends back in the states sometime.

Tyler Pepper said...

The extension got cut off there, it's .jpg

Maggie said...

Just wanted you to know I'm reading and thinking about you. And, I mean, it can't be ALL that bad to be a sex symbol. :) Would I ever be able to send you an ALL AMERICAN CARE PACKAGE?