Tuesday, September 4, 2007

There is a magical land where everyone speaks English and all the girls are six feet tall. And it is called: America. At least that was the mindset I had yesterday, and it still lingers. I'm coming off a low of very bad days, which has the be the worst culture shock that anyone in the world has ever experienced. I packed my bags (that's literal not figurative) and there still laying here beside my computer, patiently waiting for something (they're good bags). And I haven't unpacked them yet. I'm in limbo. Limbo John.

The worst part of teaching is by far the stares. First there is the "What the f*** is he talking about?", (which would be great if the thinking was in English, because then I could explain in English and they would understand. I have no idea how that translates into Chinese). Next, my personal favorite, is the "I'm bored as heck" (which probably originates from the "What the f***" and can you really blame them? I'm not a professional teacher and have had no training. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not expected to be a good teacher since I haven't really been told just what to teach. More on this later). Last is various renditions on "Oooooo, American", which has to be worst. I won't be modest: I'm a sex symbol over here. And (for those of you who have always wanted to be a sex symbol) it is not as cool as it sounds; in fact, it will drive you mad. I hope I never become famous. Everyone staring at you, every girl giggling, random people pointing and saying things you don't understand. All this derives from my nationality and my WAY above average height. What have a done to deserve it? Nothing and it has almost driven me mad.

I just read some classroom responses to the question "What would I change about myself". You can sum up sixty answers in about four sentences:
1. My english. It is too bad.
2. My happiness. I am not happy.
3. My height. I am short and fat.
4. My eyes. They are too small.

And here I almost left because my english was too good, I was happy someplace else, I'm too tall and, if I say so myself, I do have pretty eyes.

In the words of the immortal Mrs. Franklin: "I'll see you in the morning if nothing happens."

No comments: